Monday, March 30, 2009

The 26th - 30th....what I've done

This week has been so much better, it just took me awhile to figure out where I needed to go with this class. The biggest thing is that I had to get over realizing that I didn't know as much about web 2.0 as I thought, and that is ok. I have never been in a technology class that challenged me and it really scared me about the web class that I was teaching. A large chunk of my research this week has revolved around what is being taught in web design classes at community colleges. The reason I spent time on this was to get a feel for what students need to know when they enter schooling. Now that I am armed with that knowledge, I feel that I have a focus on what different areas of web 2.o that I should focus on for this class. My biggest frustration is that I don't have the time to explore all of the different technologies because I am so focused on what I need to teach my students now because of the intensity of my class.

What has been cool is that I have been able to spend more time this week learning about XHTML. My HTML textbooks are three years old and as I have spent time on the w3c website (http://www.w3.org/) and learning about the new standards and have realized that my book is very out of date. I have never had a book become obsolete so quickly. With the invention of Cascading Style Sheets, a lot of the traditional HTML tags have now become deprecated. I am going to steer away from a book and use on-line info as there is so much there. That is what I've spent a lot of my time on.

Now that I have a grasp on what I need to be looking for with this class, I am excited to be able to spend more time on the different technologies we are discussing in class. Also, this weekend I got my first real website job for a company that I applied to. Some of the things that they want are features that we are working with, so Shade Tree Web Design (my company) is officially open for business.

No comments:

Post a Comment