Sunday, March 15, 2009

Facebook, MySpace & Safety??

I have never set up a facebook or myspace account because with teaching high school, i thought this was something that I should stay away from. It has been an interesting and kind of scary experience so far. It has opened my eyes a little bit as to the world of my students and has me thinking about their safety. Within 24 hours of opening my site I had 20+ people invite me to be friends (my first thought was seriously, who has this kind of time!!!) then as I've been playing around with the site the safety aspect has come into my mind. I'm truly shocked at the the information I have stumbled across about minors in our community without purposely looking for it. I am actually at a loss for words about some of this, the kids don't realize that this information will be out there forever, even if they delete it it is still floating around. I found six different area mn towns that had groups created for bragging about the "minors" they have gotten. Seriously, I am so disapointed, I have spoken with my classes about how dangerous this can be and I see a lot of these students putting comments out there that if there parents saw they would be mortified. This has made me think about one of my classes and what can I do curriculum wise in my 9th grade grade class to help address internet safety.

I'm wondering if any of your schools have an internet safety program in the younger grades?

3 comments:

  1. So Amy when you went on classroom 2.0 how many followers did you have I think I have like 19,000 Lisa mentioned it might be because I put Concordia as part of my information now my question is how do I drop these as friends or am I just suppose to have an unlimited pool for data????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy (and everyone) make sure you go to your settings settings and limit the people who can read and see your content. I limit mine to only my friends so that my someone doesn't accidentally stumble upon some comment that I make that could be misinterpreted.

    I agree with you that some of what's posted is scary - I see stuff from my niece and her HS friends that I'd rather not. Do you think this "talk" would be occurring with or without facebook or do you think it's worse because of facebook?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy,
    I signed on to facebook last night, and was also not sure I wanted to be on there, because I'm a teacher. My kids are planning on having me as their friends. I'm not sure about going out much further than people I know or family.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete